I had an idea. While thinking through things that I’d like to get before Hannah comes, I thought about a crib mobile.
After looking around online I wasn’t impressed with the prices. THIRTY DOLLARS? Who pays THIRTY DOLLARS for a mobile?!
So I decided to do something better: make one.
So I gathered an arrangement of ideas in a pile:
And out popped the idea of making butterflies.
So I got to work and made this.
Each butterfly is made of an old clothes pin, painted in leftover pastels from the nursery paints. I used half a black pipe cleaner from our homeschool supplies for each antenna. After cutting out a simple pattern for the wings from an index card, I used some fabric scraps to sew the wings and pinch them into the paperclip. Superglue to keep the antennas on and reinforce the string’s knot. Voila!
I mixed and matched the colors for cute combos.
Then I grabbed two “charactered” sticks from the backyard, sanded them down (something about not wanting bark particles falling in the baby’s face) and washed them (don’t want dirt falling in the baby’s face either), and used some nearby twine-string to adjust out the balance and hang the butterflies. A lighter to cauterize the string’s edges and superglue for reinforcing the knots and attachments to the stick and I’d say this project costing me a total of $0 turned out well. =)
Rachael and Abi each blessed it with a little swing and we enjoyed watching it bobble about.
I hung it on the shelf’s hook coming out from under the shelf hung above Hannah’s crib.
Hope she likes it as much as I do. =)
Plus, it looks great with our pastel nursery with the flower, bee and butterfly chair boarder around the room.